Mini R53 & R56 Gripper LSD- Race
BMW Mini RACE Specification Gripper Diff (Getrag Gearbox)
Gripper Multi-Plate Race Spec Differentials
The Gripper Limited Slip Differential uses a multi-plate design which, when it detects a difference in wheels speed across the driven axle, locks the driveshafts together increasing traction. This increase in traction equates to faster launches and increased corner exit speeds as the wheels are no longer spinning as they would with an open diff. Torque is equalised across the driven wheels sending drive torque to both whereas an open diff will send the torque to the spinning wheel wasting drive in tyre smoke! Understeer and oversteer characteristics are controlled and your car laps faster as a result.
For a more detailed explanation on how a multi-plate limited slip differential works, please click the following link What is a limited slip differential?
Gripper Race Diffs: Free Tailored Set Up
As Gripper diffs have many parameters that can be adjusted to set the diff up for a multitude of disciplines, please let us know in the notes to merchant section what you are using the diff for such as:
- Tarmac Circuit Race Car: Smooth progressive action so car balance is maintained throughout the corner, strong locking action on acceleration for maximum traction and exit speed, reduced locking action in deceleration for improved control under braking without the car pushing on in the corners.
- Loose Surface Rally Car or Ice Race Car: Limited deceleration locking action to reduced understeer and help with setting the car up early for a corner with a fast locking action on corner exit to maximise traction during acceleration.
- Hillclimb / Sprint Car: Tarmac spec diff with focus on speed and strength of lock up to maximise grip without sacrificing the pointy and chuckable nature of these cars and minimise understeer in and out of corners.
- Drift Car: Tarmac set up with the focus on speed and strength of lock up to help find the maximum lateral grip required in the car to achieve and maintain the acute cornering angles required to impress in competitive drifting.
- Drag Race Car: Built to improve grip and traction off the line without introducing torque steer.
- Oval Racing Car: Overall preload and numbers of active plates left to right can be adjusted to produce a diff that locks and unlocks quickly, combats understeer upon turn in and gives excellent lock for maximum traction when power is applied mid bend. A very different way of driving needs a very different diff set up!
The parameters than can be adjusted are the ramp angles, preload and the number of active plates overall (and either side for oval race cars). A competent mechanic with an understanding of the workings of a limited slip diff will be able to alter the characteristics of a Gripper diff to suit differing driving styles or a change in race discipline making them very flexible and cost effective, so no need to buy another diff if you change your car from race to rally!
Gripper Lifetime Warranty / Guarantee
For customers peace of mind, all Gripper Diffs are covered by a lifetime warranty / guarantee against poor workmanship and inferior materials. Cases, lids and gears are made of aero quality steel and are built to tight tolerances which make them one of the most reliable and sought after transmission products on the market. Plates have minute machined oil grooves designed to allow a microscopic layer of oil to be pumped between them to smooth out and speed up lock / unlock which has the added benefit of significantly increasing the service life. Preload and locking action is maintained for much longer and the cost of ownership of a Gripper diff is lower compared to other multiplate limited slip diff designs.
Stock, Delivery and Shipping
We hold a huge number of limited slip diffs in stock for fast delivery. Diff set up is a very quick operation and generally only adds a day to the shipping time. Diffs are shipped on a next day carrier for UK destinations. Europe may take 2 to 3 days to deliver.
Available with or without fitting